May contain affiliate links. See my disclosure page for more information.
I love the fall. The cooling temperatures and the crispness in the air is so refreshing after a sweltering summer in the northeast. Pumpkin-flavored everything, cozy flannels, and Oktoberfest beers….what’s not to love?
Another great thing about the season is all of the fun fall family activities. What’s even better is that so many of them cost little to nothing. Whether your wallet is hurting a bit after a pricey summer family vacation, or you’re saving in anticipation for the winter holidays (psst…check out my post on how to save for Christmas all year long!), you don’t have to sacrifice fun with these frugal fall family activities.
I love being outside during the fall. The oppressive summer heat and humidity has gone away, making it pleasant to be outside again. Our family is pretty outdoorsy so we try to take advantage of every minute to get outside. Fortunately, the season offers so many fall family activities to enjoy in the great outdoors.
- Go on a hike
- Rake leaves (and jump in the piles!)
- Have a picnic
- Kayak, canoe, or paddle board
- Find your way through a corn maze
- Go on a hay ride
- Get away for the weekend and go camping (Not convinced? Check out my post on why camping is the best cheap family vacation)
- Roast marshmallows around a backyard firepit
- Make some hot chocolate or hot cider and go stargazing
- Go on a fall scavenger hunt
- Go apple or pumpkin picking
- Get inspired by fall flavors and bake as a family (using the apples you got from your apple picking!)
- Find an Oktoberfest celebration and eat your way through fall
- Make applesauce (again, using those apples you picked!)
- Hearty soups are a fun way to introduce kids to cooking. The older kids can chop and measure while the younger ones can dump everything in the pot and mix.
- Have dinner outside
- Check out the many harvest festivals and street fairs
- Host a potluck dinner or get together with neighbors to throw a block party
- Tailgate in your backyard! Ask everyone to bring something and go inside when the game starts
- Volunteer at a local soup kitchen, food bank, or support another cause that’s important to your family. Get a group of friends together and make an event out of it
- Make fall decorations together (for inspiration, check out my DIY Fall Decor Pinterest Board)
- Paint with pine cones or leaves for a fall masterpiece
- Cover a pine cone with peanut butter and roll it in birdseed to feed our feathered friends
- Calling all ghosts, ghouls, vampires, and witches! Unleash your creative side with Halloween crafts (I’m filling up my kids’ crafts Pinterest board with lots of adorable ideas)
- Paint pumpkins early in the fall for fun porch decorations
What fun fall family activities does your family enjoy? Leave a comment below! Happy fall!